After getting GalliumOS installed on a Chromebook, here’s what I did to install Minecraft on it including transferring the saved “worlds” from a prior Windows computer. And below I have a link to improve performance.
Log in to GalliumOS on your Chromebook using the user who will be running Minecraft. And be sure that this user is in the sudoers group which is the last step of setting up a user in my prior post. Then proceed with the following.
- Open terminal (the button with the “>_”) and type the following
curl -LO https://launcher.mojang.com/download/Minecraft.deb
sudo apt-get install default-jre
sudo dpkg -i Minecraft.deb
- Start (the button in the bottom left) -> Games -> Minecraft Launcher. Then log in to Minecraft and click Play.
That’s it for set up. It’s pretty easy. If you want to transfer worlds from another computer, proceed with the following.
- Quit Minecraft if it is running on both the source and the target computers
- On the Windows computer that contains the existing worlds to transfer, insert USB drive
- Copy the “saves” folder from C:/Users/username/AppData/Roaming/.minecraft to the USB drive and eject the USB drive from the Windows computer
- Insert the USB drive in the GalliumOS computer, open the File Manager (button next to the Start button on the bottom bar), and click on the USB drive on the left column for it to mount
- Open a terminal window (if not already open) and in the terminal window type
cp -rP /media/username/devicename/saves/* .
- Eject the USB drive by clicking on the eject button next to the USB drive name in the File Manager
- Run Minecraft Launcher and click on Single User to see your saved games
If you discover that performance is poor on the Chromebook as I did, don’t despair. I thought all of my efforts were for naught until I found a helpful Reddit post with a list of things to change to improve performance. I got a little tripped up when I tried to install OptiFine since the version of Minecraft I was running was 1.16.2 and the latest OptiFine version was for 1.16.1. But there is an option at the top of the OptFine version list for testing versions and 1.16.2 was included in that list, fortunately. After following all the steps in that Reddit post, the result is a less than realistic world experience but Minecraft isn’t terribly realistic in the first place so it’s still fine. I tried skipping a few of the steps and didn’t find it as much improved but I may play with the settings in the future to see what the real limitation is. My guess is the fact that the graphics isn’t a discrete chip but is part of the CPU and that the CPU is otherwise busy with the OS and the Java engine that is running the experience. One thing I haven’t tried yet is to connect to a different server since at least in that case, the activity of the world would be happening on a different computer.